Utilizing Apple's Human Interface Guidlines

I think it would be a good idea for us to, when possible, use Apple’s OS X human Interface GuidLines when making UI/UX considers in our applications.

For example, I just went searching for this because I always run into a conflict in my head when writing text for certain UI elements, like buttons. How do you write button text? “Send Email to All Customers.”, “Send email to all customers”, (probably not) “send email to all customers”? Well this guide was helpful in that Apple recommends things like buttons to use Title-style capitalization ( https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/userexperience/conceptual/applehiguidelines/TextStyle/TextStyle.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP30000365-BABDIBBH ).

1 Like

I just remembered another conflict I have, which is saying “please” or just (seemingly) demanding that the user do something. “Enter the First Name” vs “Please enter the First Name”.

I tend to accidentally give software self-awareness. Things like this:

“I found 93 errors in that file. Please reformat it.”
“You’ve successfully downloaded one of my configuration files.”
“I’m sorry, I can’t do that, dave.”

2 Likes

I’m on board with using Apple as our reference for this stuff. I remember using their OS 7 UI guidelines way back in the 90s, and I was impressed with how thorough everything was.

1 Like